Monday, October 3, 2011

Roasted Tomato Soup with Garlic

What is one thing you do that you find brings you comfort?

This weekend I got to spend time with friends.  One of which drove an hour to see me, and I fed her potato soup.  Another friend is a young girl from church.  We met through our common interest in photography.  At 15 she already is a photographer and is building her portfolio.  She's done weddings and special events; she's sold her prints and is saving money to purchase more cameras and editing software.  We met for brunch Saturday morning.  The weather was perfect--clear skies and bright sunshine without the heat.  Upon reaching our destination we discovered the square was hosting Oktoberfest.  Streets were blocked and parking was scarce.  We had to drive clear across the square in order to park, but the walk was lovely.  There were signs advertising the price for beer, but I didn't see where any of it was.  Instead there where rows and rows of craft tents and junk food.  People milled about, many of which brought along their dogs.  Oddly enough, the only breed we saw where Dachshund.  Weird.  Oh, we did see a Basset Hound on the way back.

Oktoberfest









"Anya" & Me
That evening I made roasted tomato soup.  A friend from work came over for dinner and a movie.  We watched The Tourist, ate apple pie and talked until after 1 a.m.  After we said good-night and I locked the door, it wasn't but a few minutes later that I heard a knock.  "There's a skunk by my car," she said.  Since she parked in front of my building, we peered out the window to see if it was still there.  No sign of skunk.  I walked with her to her car.  It could be in the bushes, she said.  Most likely it got scared and ran away, I answered.  You promise? she asked.  No.  She made a dash for her car, got in and waved me to go back inside.  I remember a long time ago when I was a little girl and a skunk sprayed my family and I as we were riding a four-wheeler through my uncle's property.  No matter how much I soaped and washed, the smell lingered.  That's what my friend said, no amount of washing will get rid of that stink.

Sunday was a slow, lingering day.  One of which I needed because I was tired from getting up so early to go tend to Wally.  Heaven have mercy, I wanted to sleep during the day, but I couldn't.  I tried but to no avail.  Instead I ended up watching a Rugby World Cup match between New Zealand and Canada.  Fascinating.  Rugby is much more interesting than American football.  I particularly am intrigued when they huddle and scramble to get the ball and how they pass the ball from player to player.  Even when a player is tackled the ball is still in play.  

The one thing that I realize I turn to for comfort and pleasure is writing...oh, and cooking.

I hope your Monday is off to a great start.  

Roasted Tomato Soup with Garlic
Adapted from Bon Appetit, February 1998

3 pounds Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
Olive oil, enough to drizzle over halved tomatoes
3-6 cloves of minced garlic (the more garlic, the better for me)
1 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Chopped basil leaves for garnish.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place tomatoes, cut side up, on large baking sheet.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil.  Roast until tomatoes are brown and tender, about 1 hour (seriously, I thought this was WAY to long, but it was correct).  Cool slightly.





Transfer tomatoes and any accumulated juices to blender (or processor).  Puree.

Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat.  Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.  Stir in tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, dried crushed red pepper and stock (do it quickly because the oil in pot is hot and tomatoes will splash).  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer about 25 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Serve in bowls and add chopped basil for garnish



No comments:

Post a Comment