Monday, October 17, 2011

A Night of Accidents


The line of cars at the intersection was unusual at that time of the day.  I slowed down and stopped singing along with my radio.  Flashing red and blue lights appeared from a police vehicle.  A policeman directed traffic.  A semi and another automobile blocked the road.  

I had completely lost track of time this afternoon.  Engrossed in a project, I did not realize 5 p.m. had come and gone.  On my way home I stopped by the mailbox. Traffic began to thin out after I got off the highway.  I turned down the street that led to my home when again I saw flashing red and blue lights.  Two of the three lanes were blocked off by police vehicles.  Bits and pieces lay scattered on the road.  An officer walked from one piece to another measuring and taking pictures.  As I got closer I could see more police vehicles.  Two blocked the road, two SUVs were parked in the median and more were on the other side.  

And there it was.  An upside-down SUV or minivan.  Its front completely crushed.

It has now been a few hours since I've arrived home.  Thunder booms in the distant sky.  Several nights ago lightning struck a massive tree limb.  It blocked a turn lane.  When I returned home from work the next afternoon, the tree was gone.  They had cut it.  All of it.  How sad.

Often I think about the people I love the most and the lyric from one of the songs on Moulin Rouge comes to mind.

How wonderful life is now you're in the world.

Don't you agree?  Life is more wonderful because the person you love is part of your world.  

It is not common for me to see more than one accident in a day.  The second one looked bad.  I pray for all parties involved.  My heart goes out to them.  

I don't like morbid thoughts.  I don't like to think about how fragile life is.  




With passing days there have been regrets
I wish to eliminate them
one by one






1 comment:

  1. Neither do I. At the same time though, thinking about it makes me stop and appreciate every single moment, to make sure that the last thing my loved ones hear when they leave or if I drive somewhere is, "I love you."

    Those poor people. I hope things turned out ok for them.

    ReplyDelete