Saturday, April 10, 2010

Man Down

A leader has resigned.

"X" has relinquished title and position because of things committed.  "X" has stepped down and publicly confessed.

I am shocked and saddened.  Indignant?  No.  Angry?  No.  Sadness overwhelms the shock.  C.S. Lewis penned: I, being what I am, can consider that I am in some sense a Christian, why should the different vices of those people in the next pew prove that their religion is merely hypocrisy and convention?"

Do we often get our eyes off of the Savior and become more interested in man, in someone we can see and touch?  We all have learned that people can and do let us down.  I have been guilty of that.  So my take on what I've learned in life is that people are people.  To follow a leader, there will always be that aspect of humanity that plagues us.  The non-perfect aspect.  Yet, I agree that there are standards for leaders to uphold, but not only for leaders, for us as well.  Why must leaders have the higher standard?  Shouldn't we all adhere to the higher standard?  It is our choice.

After hearing about this I asked myself how can we safeguard ourselves from 'falling'?  Is there a way to do so?  If a  person says I'll never do such a thing, I cringe.  For that alone is not enough to prevent a such a thing from happening.  We can't depend on our good intentions or strong moral fiber.  People are people.  I've seen the best of them make mistakes.  There has to be a higher power to help us.  Love is a strong power.  How can I let love permeate me so that I choose to do things that won't hurt others?

No comments:

Post a Comment