Friday, April 23, 2010

In the Rain



It rained the previous weekend.  The clouds blocked enough of the sun to only allow for a faint illumination to seep through the misty rain.  It cast a soft yellow glow upon the glistening leaves and dark brown, wet trunks.  The tree's greenness seemed most unusually vibrant as if it was the only color in a washed out photograph.  It reminded me of England.


On the second day of my visit in England it rained, of course.  The air was chilly, but it was too beautiful to dampen the spirit.  Stone houses that lined the streets were accustomed to the perpetual wetness as indicated by the moss that colored the bottom stones.  


There was a park in the center of town.  It was situated upon a hill.  Crossing the street from our hotel was the opera house, and across the street from that was a path that lead up to the park.  Mom and I huddled under our umbrellas and embarked on the ascent.  It was paved with steps.  An elderly couple were ahead of us.  They wore dark green parkas. Arm in arm they walked to the park bench situated under a couple of magnificent trees.  Their branches provided somewhat of a shield against the drizzle.  They situated themselves upon the bench and opened what looked like a picnic hamper.  From it they withdrew a thermos and proceeded to have tea right there...in the park...in the rain.  


That memory will forever be photographed in my mind.  I know I wouldn't have thought about enjoying tea in the wet.  But then again I'm American.  If it rains, I like to stay indoors.  If Britons stayed indoors when it rained, no one would ever have the opportunity to venture out much.  They probably think nothing of the rain, as we think nothing of the sunshine.  It's common.  Part of every day life.  So what if one must carry an umbrella.  Babies there know about rain the time that they're born.  


I love the rain.  Many a time it has been fuel for the imagination.  Although I admit I'm not accustomed to it as the Brits are.  I prefer to stay dry when it's wet outside.  But I love England...and I love the idea of walking to the park with the one you love...arm in arm...enjoying tea while listening to the pitter patter of rain upon the leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment