Monday, June 28, 2010

Hollandaise

Saturday late morning.  Going into the weekend I made plans in my head to prepare Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise Sauce. I had all the ingredients except for the turkey bacon which I substitute over the Canadian bacon or ham.  


While searching for recipes the day before I came across one for Hollandaise that used a different method to what I was accustomed to.  In this recipe it instructed one to whisk the egg yoke, lemon juice and water in the double boiler until the egg yoke gets creamy.  Once that happens, remove the egg yoke mixture from the heat and slowly incorporate MELTED butter.  Melted butter?  I was never taught that.  I shouldn't have...but I tried it.


Boy oh boy, once the butter got added, the egg curdled.  How to stop the curdling??  I didn't know...until today...after the fact.  


(I miss GOURMET!)


Here's a COOK'S NOTE from a 2007 issue of Gourmet magazine that tells one what to do when the egg curdles.


(Picture courtesy of gourmet.com)


COOKS' NOTES:
  • If the yolks overcook, they will curdle (scramble). If you detect the slightest bit of curdling, immediately place the saucepan in a large bowl of ice and cold water and whisk to cool the yolks slightly, then continue with the recipe. (If you have more than just a little bit of curdled yolk, it is best to start over).
  • Sauce can be made up to 1 hour ahead. Cover pan with plastic wrap and place in a 4-quart saucepan of warm water (135ºF; if water is too hot, it will curdle sauce). If sauce thickens while sitting, whisk in 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water.

If only I had known...  So there when two eggs and butter.

There's was no other option than to start over.  

Hollandaise Sauce
(Serves 2)

1 large egg yoke
1/2 to 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon zest (optional, depending on how lemony you like your sauce)
5 Tbsp butter (cold, unsalted)

In a double boiler set on low heat, whisk egg yoke, lemon juice and zest.  Incorporate butter one tablespoon at a time until it melts and mixture becomes creamy.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  (I added a dash of chili powder.)  Sauce should be creamy and coat the back of a spoon.

The sauce was delicious.  Tangy and creamy.  

I still had a stubborn round of bread.  In order for me to cut into it I have to stick it in a 200 degree oven for ten minutes.  That's what I used.  It had great flavor though...once it softened up a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment