Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Aboard the Prius - Our Trek to the Pacific Northwest (Pt. 7)

Day 7 - Friday, May 14


Slept good.  After I woke up my nose started draining.  Hair looked flat and eyes itched.  My morning consolation was that this Hampton Inn had a lovely spread for breakfast.  Their oatmeal bar was complete with granola, dried fruits, nuts--the works.  A group of elementary school children were on a field trip of sorts.  A group of them congregated around the television watching "Garfield".  


To Napa we go!  The valley was bathed in soft morning light.  The mountains were still nestled in the clouds as if sleeping in.  Most of the wineries didn't open until 10 a.m., so we meandered around for a bit, taking pictures of flowers outside their gates.  We drove down Silverton Trail, which according to my app showed many wineries populated this area.  Sure enough.  Vineyards lined both sides.  














The first winery we stopped at was Clos Du Val.  I chose it based on the tid-bit description on my app: "California wines produced with a French aesthetic.  Not light, but more elegant than many, often lower in alcohol, and generally very age-worthy." 


Dad and I had a tasting.  Their Chardonnay was lovely.  Our tasting consisted of six different wines, starting off with a very light, blossomy wine and ended with an almost black rich and full-bodied wine.  After the tasting our hostess asked if we had any questions.  I informed her that I was interested in the Rose.  (Upon entering the winery, the 2009 Rose is displayed on the front table.  It was a lovely blush of pink with an eye-catching label design.)  Good idea, she said, "I had forgotten about that one."  She opened a fresh bottle from the wine chiller and poured us and herself a sample.  Lovely.  She agreed.  I decided to purchase a bottle, as did Dad.








\







We stopped at two other wineries: Signorelli and Chimney Rock.  Their wines didn't look as appealing.  (Yes, I'm all about the look, the packaging, the eye-candy.)  Every bottle looked the same.  No character.  Nothing to pique my imagination.  Uniform bottles...and pricey.  Dad overheard one of the employees at Chimney Rock explain to a couple who where there tasting that grapes that grow at different elevations produce different flavors.  Ones that grow on bare soil is also different from ones that grow among grass.









We drove a quick pass by downtown Napa; we didn't even enter it.  Construction.  Didn't get to stop and check out any shops.  Although we did stop at a strawberry stand, owned by Laotian farmers who spoke Thai.  Mom bought a basket of their delicious berries.  After the wine tasting I got a bit lightheaded.  Nothing drastic, just a happy relaxed sensation.  Once the car began to move though I wanted to nap.  Before I knew it we were well out of Napa.  I woke up intermittently as we drove past groves and groves of fruit trees.  Peach trees, cherry trees, plum trees, orange trees.  I also saw a sign announcing a pistachio farm.







Dad is taking us to Bakersfield, CA.  Mom wants to pick fruit in the orchards.  (Reminds me of article #132 of Stuff White People Like.)  Bakersfield is flat and sandy.  Like a desert but some how vegetation thrive if not lush grass.  We stopped at another strawberry stand, also owned by Laotian farmers who speak Thai.  This time Mom bought a huge tray of berries.  The car smells like strawberries.


No one knows where Mom can pick fruit.  Alas, we're leaving Bakersfield rather than staying over, because we can't find a pick-your-own-fruit orchard.  The consensus is to keep on driving.  


Hmmm...I'd like to have a glass of wine with these strawberries.  Mom had purchased some apricots a few miles back.  They weren't exceptional but they're ok.  California's roads are much to be desired.  They are not smooth, neither are they quiet.  Their is a train track in Bakersfield.  This town is part desert and part oasis (for now I spy palm trees and a lush lawns).  Weird.




I've not gotten over how flat my hair is today.  Mom said not to use as much conditioner and not to leave it in for a long time.  I need to wash my hair tonight.


Arrived in Barstow around 9 p.m.  Hampton Inn is very nice, practically new.  My rear is tired of sitting.  My legs are tired of being folded.  Finally!  Got to stand up, wash my hair and blow dry it.


Dad said we have 18 hours of driving left.  Mom said let's drive straight through tomorrow.  She doesn't want to wake up early tomorrow morning either.  Wants to leave at 10 a.m.  In theory it sounds good to sleep in, but I don't think that's going to happen.  Dad will still wake up at 6 a.m., and I will open my eyes early too.  It will be nice to have a whole day Sunday to recuperate before the work week.


Upon reflection I'm disappointed I only got one bottle of wine from Napa.  Bummer.  Can't change that now.  Oh well, at least I got a bottle.


Read a little bit of Ravi's book I have on my Kindle.  According to Matthew 12 Jesus said He is greater than the temple; He is greater than Solomon; and He's greater than Jonah.  He's greater than the temple for He can be worshipped anywhere.  He's greater than Solomon for Solomon's wisdom is theory whereas Jesus lived a perfect life.  He's greater than Jonah for Jonah survived three days and nights inside a fish's belly whereas Jesus was raised from hell--He survived Hell.


"Jesus is greater than religion.  He's greater than religious teachers.  He's greater than miracles.  Truth gives spirituality credence.  Without truth spirituality has no substance.  Truth is anchored in Jesus.  Without Him spirituality falls apart."


"I will have mercy rather than sacrifice."





All photography were taken with my iPhone.
© 2010 Sriprae P. McDonald 

No comments:

Post a Comment