Sunday, March 18, 2012

Give Up Yer Auld Sins

A coworker introduced me to this animated short film.  In the 80s-90s they found a tape recording that was done in the 60s of school children in Dublin retelling stories from the Bible.  I love listening to how they speak and the vernacular they used.  





A couple weeks ago I tried my hand at baking a Golden Syrup Cake.  I found Lyles Golden Syrup at Kroger's just two days after I read the blog post on Always with Butter.  So, naturally I had to try it for myself.  The batter took me by surprise; it was the driest cake batter I had ever encountered...so naturally I added a wee bit more milk into the mixture.  The crumb of the cake was quite different than what I'm normally used to.  It wasn't airy or fluffy; it was dense.  A satisfying cake that pairs well with Barry's Irish black tea. 








This weekend I went to World Market and to my utter delight discovered that they carry HobNobs.  Oh, the world is a wonderful place!  HobNobs--in case you've not heard of them--are English biscuits (cookies) made primarily of rolled oats.  Delightful crispy, crumby biscuit texture.  Oaty but mellowed with sugar.  They are tea's favorite companion...and one must dunk the HobNob biscuit in one's tea in order to experience the full delightfulness of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment