Monday, September 6, 2010

Cleaning, French Lessons...and a Perfect Avocado

Friday morning...I hit the snooze button at 5 a.m.  Too early.  After an extra 30 minutes of dozing, I forced myself to get up.  I was meeting a coworker at the local Starbucks at 7:30, and then we were going across town to meet with one of our vendors.  Even though it was an early start for a Friday morning, all in all it was a very good and productive day.  I came home and took a nap.  

When I awoke I had an insatiable urge to clean.  (Better take advantage of the desire to do so, I told myself.)  I started with the bedroom and went through all the papers and folders and books that I had accumulated, stuffed and crammed into my bookcase.  Lots of junk.  Why did I keep these?  I had books that I started reading but now have no interest in finishing them.  Those went into boxes...two full boxes to be exact.  Oh yes--to make cleaning not such a bore, I played one of my podcast subscriptions: Coffee Break French.  

Bonjour!  C'est va?  Tres bien, merci.

It was lovely not to have anyone within earshot as I practiced the pronunciations. 

Au revoir.  Bonne nuit.  

(I'm only on lesson 3 of 80.)  

After the bedroom I moved on to the living room and dusted.  Where did all the dust come from??  Then it was time to tackle the bathroom.  Then vacuum.  Then wash the dishes and clean the kitchen floor.  By the time I was finished my garbage bag was a large bulge, and the sun had set.  I had missed the colorful evening horizon.  Instead the city lights shone like happy pin-pricks.  It was Friday night and my neighborhood was quiet.  I imagined that everyone in their homes were simply enjoying their moments of relaxation from a full work week.  

Feeling very hungry all of a sudden, I grabbed my car keys and headed to the grocery store.  Salad sounded appetizing.  A simple salad of crunchy lettuce, crumbled crispy bacon and generous feta.  A bottle of Riesling sounded good, too.  This summer I had not been craving fresh vegetables like usual.  Instead it's been Mexican food...crispy--not greasy--tacos, guacamole with lots of fresh squeezed lime juice, white corn tortillas and premium tortilla chips, chipotle salsa, Spanish rice, spicy fajita steaks...Lord, have mercy.  Usually I would splurge on blueberries and strawberries and white-fleshed peaches.  Not so much this year.  Perhaps it was due to the many disappointments I encountered with tasteless berries, bruised berries, rotten berries, over-priced berries--and the peaches!  It's been awful... I couldn't take it any more.  Oh, but I did discover Nutella spread.  It's glorious with bananas.

I purchased one avocado while at the store.  $1.50 for one avocado.  When I sliced into it a smile spread across my face.  $1.50 well spent.

Perfection.

I chopped it along with a tomato, salted them and added fresh lime juice.  Yes!--I had some tortilla chips for the perfect accompaniment.  

Naked lettuce.

With a glass of Riesling, I was ready to drift happily into a very much-looked-forward-to weekend.


My simple Friday night dinner

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment