Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Aboard the Prius - Our Trek to the Pacific Northwest (Pt. 1)

My parents had invited me to join them on a road trip to the Pacific Northwest.  Dad had wanted to see Oregon, but the opportunity never arose until this year.  I accepted their invitation.  Armed with a brand new notebook, favorite pen, and my iPhone I embarked on this adventure with them in their shiny red Prius.

Day 1 - Saturday, May 8


We packed the Prius and left my apartment at 7 a.m.  So far it's just a stretch of highway with green grass on both sides.  I have the back seat all to myself.  Nice.


Read Acts 18.  Once again Paul reasoned with the Jews.  This time it was in Corinth.


It is almost 9 a.m., and we're looking for a McDonald's and a Starbucks.  We've past two McD's, but they were on the wrong side of the highway and past the exits we needed to take. Only passed one Starbucks.  Mom busted out her packed picnic.  Tortillas, salad and sour cream.


Salad Dressing


Last night Mom asked if I had vegetables to make a salad.  Yes, as a matter of fact I had just bought some Wednesday night.  She asked if I had salad dressing.  Yes, quite a few bottles.  


As we packed the car this morning she forgot the dressing.  As we drove past the small towns and their grocery stores and Wal-Marts she hinted at Dad to stop to get dressing.  Didn't happen.  We stopped at McDonald's at Iowa Park, and Mom asked Dad to get a packet of dressing while she waited in the car.  He forgot.  We stopped at Wal-Mart in Amarillo, and Mom forgot the dressing.  However, she was able to go back into the store to get it.  She asked Dad what kind he wanted.  Ranch.  She returned with creamy Italian...by mistake.



McDonald's in Iowa Park...pretty spiffy for fast food


Dad placing his breakfast order


Colorado 


Reading material


Mom driving

30000 E. 1st Ave.
Denver, CO 80206


I wrote down the address as we entered Denver early in the evening.  My iPhone Google map guided through downtown Denver. We ate dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen (our destination).  We stayed at the Sleep Inn in Thorton.  Didn't sleep so well.  Sinus headache.  The room was rather dinky, but it was only a place to stay the night.  Room 123 on the LL.  Same floor as the indoor swimming pool.



Downtown Denver...California Pizza Kitchen location




Mom contemplating her dinner choice


My dinner...tortilla soup and wedge salad


*All photography were taken with my iPhone.
© 2010 Sriprae P. McDonald 

1 comment: